WP, HOLD and 3.3v pins if I just want to READ firmware?

Rendering Error in layout Widget/Social: Call to a member function exists() on null. Please enable debug mode for more information.
More
5 years 4 months ago #10858 by ffdd22
On the image below, it's shown that the chip's WP, HOLD  and 3.3v pins need to be connected to the pin 17 of the RB Pi. However, since I'm interested in only reading the firmware (dumping a .bin file) of the chip, neither edit it or write a modded one back, do I still need to connect these 3 pins to 1 ? I'm shit at soldering so that's why I'm not risking connecting 3 wires together in the same pin.

This is a 25Q064A chip btw.

Thank you.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 4 months ago - 5 years 4 months ago #10863 by thaGH05T
The hold should be driven high or you may have bad read/write cycles. 

The power state of the mac really depends on what state the pch is in, because it's the main proponent that writes to the efi.

If you have any other questions let me know.
Last edit: 5 years 4 months ago by thaGH05T.

More
5 years 4 months ago - 5 years 4 months ago #10871 by ffdd22

thaGH05T wrote: The hold should be driven high or you may have bad read/write cycles. 

The power state of the mac really depends on what state the pch is in, because it's the main proponent that writes to the efi.

If you have any other questions let me know.

Hi and sorry for the late reply.

I've just noticed something which could be very crucial

This is my chip's documentation

www.micron.com/-/media/client/global/documents/products/data-sheet/nor-flash/serial-nor/n25q/n25q_64mb_1_8v_65nm.pdf

stating that it has a 1.7-2.0V operating voltage.

So I guess it means that connecting it to the Pi's 3.3V PIN 17 is going to leave me with a fried chip, right?

EDIT : I just came across this link

www.micron.com/~/media/documents/products/data-sheet/nor-flash/serial-nor/n25q/n25q_64a_3v_65nm.pdf

where it's about the same chip and says that a 2.7 - 3.6V operational range is fine. I guess I need to find which one I'm using.???
Last edit: 5 years 4 months ago by ffdd22.

Who's Online

We have 381 guests and no members online

N00BZ

• ljamal
  • ljamal74
  • mikeg2atest
  • ducchinhbui
  • anjarezt

Cookies