A1398 (EMC 2881) dump/EFI request

Rendering Error in layout Widget/Social: Call to a member function exists() on null. Please enable debug mode for more information.
More
8 years 5 months ago - 8 years 5 months ago #1684 by GenoBimboAZ
I need a dump for my MacBook Pro A1398 (EMC 2881) 2.5 GHz i7.
Last edit: 8 years 5 months ago by GenoBimboAZ.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 5 months ago #1816 by perthdave
Any luck finding a dump for your 2881? I'm also looking for one. Thanks

More
8 years 5 months ago #1821 by thaGH05T
I am sorry I don't think I have that one readily available. You are welcome to try the one in the repository, but it will likely not work at all or have a few issues. If you can make it through the issues and force a firmware upgrade you will be golden though. MAKE SURE TO BACK YOUR FIRMWARE UP BEFORE TRYING as a contingency plan. Also..... Why can't you use the original firmware??

More
7 years 10 months ago #3251 by lolito
I need this exact same dump too ;-(

How do you PUSH a firmware upgrade, o firmware re-installation or how ever it's called? if the firmware is the same as the latest version, installation is denied by OSX.

THANKS!!!!

More
7 years 10 months ago #3253 by thaGH05T
Mod can you help answer this question?
The following user(s) said Thank You: lolito

More
7 years 10 months ago #3269 by lolito
Seems I won't be lucky this time, need a dump to fix this machine.

More
7 years 10 months ago #3313 by thaGH05T
You have to do it from the OS land.. I do not have a mac right now to tell you the exact steps. You should be able to look around and find a firmware upgrade option.

More
7 years 10 months ago #3319 by lolito

thaGH05T wrote: You have to do it from the OS land.. I do not have a mac right now to tell you the exact steps. You should be able to look around and find a firmware upgrade option.

mmmm.... yes, OS land of course, obviusly. Thing is, firmware it's already upgraded to the latest version ;-) that is why it's actually not possible to execute a firmware update/upgrade. Also, if the information on the EFI chip has no serial number, because it's corrupted, how would it get the actual serial number, if the guys who soldered the chip before me fucked it up and the serial is not there anymore???

I have the serial, I know it, but, if the info in the efi chip is suspicious, better not to use it, right?

More
7 years 10 months ago #3320 by reverendalc
i have a clean dump of this model. i'll be home tomorrow and can upload it

More
7 years 10 months ago #3333 by lolito

reverendalc wrote: i have a clean dump of this model. i'll be home tomorrow and can upload it

Thanks a lot man!!! I appreciate it, and I will buy you two paypal beers after it's fixed, in appreciation.

More
7 years 10 months ago #3349 by thaGH05T
Community helping themselves, gotta love it ;)

More
7 years 10 months ago #3354 by reverendalc
Attachments:

More
7 years 10 months ago #3364 by lolito

thaGH05T wrote: Community helping themselves, gotta love it ;)

loving it indeed. One question only, could you guys please verify this dump and put it in the database, so we can go completing the database?

Thanks in advance!!

More
7 years 10 months ago #3386 by lolito
Do you guys know what kind of chip is supposed to go in this machines? I´m trying to repair a machine that had its chip replaced or re-soldered... I can tell because the current position of the chip is not good, at all. I attach a photo. Also, the machine took quite a while to boot before, but now it's just not booting at all... It's bricked, I need to un-brick it.

Attachments:

More
7 years 10 months ago #3387 by reverendalc
Off the top of my head,
That's an mx25l6406e
I no longer have that MacBook though, can anybody confirm?

More
7 years 10 months ago #3390 by thaGH05T
Yea I think I can agree with reverendalc, how did you take the photo? With mirrors? The values look backwards.

More
7 years 10 months ago #3392 by lolito

reverendalc wrote: Off the top of my head,
That's an mx25l6406e
I no longer have that MacBook though, can anybody confirm?

Thanks a lot! The picture is taken with a webcam software, that mirrors the image. It's an ebay cheap digital microscope.

Now I have to try tonight to be able to get access to the chip, I have that typical USB re-programmer. I used to fix a mac mini succesfully, few months back.

The machine is now bricked. Before it was very slow to get to boot, and had no serial number. Now it's bricked ;-(

More
7 years 10 months ago #3393 by reverendalc
I took one look at that picture and thought I was crazy dyslexic for a moment.

Can you read the chip at all? When I was working on that model, I could NOT communicate with the chip without the battery connected.

It's not usually the case, but in that instance it was for me.

More
7 years 10 months ago #3394 by lolito

reverendalc wrote: I took one look at that picture and thought I was crazy dyslexic for a moment.

Can you read the chip at all? When I was working on that model, I could NOT communicate with the chip without the battery connected.

I will try again tonight, and will let you know. So far, I could not communicate with the chip, although I did something that bricked it. Worst case scenario, I can order a new chip with a proper info on it and solder the new chip, but will try first to re-program it.

More
7 years 10 months ago #3395 by lolito

reverendalc wrote: I took one look at that picture and thought I was crazy dyslexic for a moment.

fast question; did you have to disconnect all connectors from the board to communicate with the chip? ssd, wireless card, keyboard and backlight keyboard, video cable, etc...???

Who's Online

We have 525 guests and no members online

N00BZ

• ljamal
  • ljamal74
  • mikeg2atest
  • ducchinhbui
  • anjarezt

Cookies