Apple Watch - Diagnostic Port & Device

Rendering Error in layout Widget/Social: Call to a member function exists() on null. Please enable debug mode for more information.
More
7 years 4 months ago - 7 years 4 months ago #5648 by murtdoc_007
Hello guys,

I am making this topic about the iwatch diagnotic port and the misterious device for it.

So, the only way to install a firmware watchOS into a iwatch is by using the diagnostic port; a 6 or 5 pinholes port, which looks like this

To access this diagnostic port you need a special device which it connects to your computer via a normal apple lightning cable.
Here are some pictures of it:
Attachments:
Last edit: 7 years 4 months ago by murtdoc_007. Reason: bla-bla

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 4 months ago #5650 by murtdoc_007
I also have a few pictures of how the device looks inside.

But I want to know if there is anyone in here that could help us replicate it or helpus build a similar device ...

More
7 years 4 months ago #5654 by reverendalc
are there any part numbers on that device?
i'd love to see a pic of the guts, but a schematic would be helpful

More
7 years 4 months ago #5659 by murtdoc_007
Probably we can find the chips, but there are quiet a few.

This is how it look like inside ...
Attachments:

More
7 years 4 months ago - 7 years 4 months ago #5662 by reverendalc
Oh wow it's VERY simple. And there's an apple board number!

Let me see if I can dig up a schematic. Where did you locate this trinket?

are those moisture indicators tripped?
Last edit: 7 years 4 months ago by reverendalc.

More
7 years 4 months ago - 7 years 4 months ago #5663 by murtdoc_007
I got those pictures from a friend working for an apple shop.

not sure about moisture indicators tripped ...

I'm not sure we can find more about it, schematic and stuff ... simple?!? can you find the board and chips?
Last edit: 7 years 4 months ago by murtdoc_007.

More
7 years 4 months ago #5665 by reverendalc
i would love some up close photos of the chips. that apple board number yielded ZERO internet results... except 820-00334 is the model number of some European furniture manufacturer.

do they have a name for it?

by simple, i mean... not a lot going on. apple usually jams an almost unreal amount of electronics into their design

More
7 years 4 months ago - 7 years 4 months ago #5667 by murtdoc_007
I can't promise a close-up, but I will try.

Ok, so, if we think about this ... basically, the lightning cable's got inside 4 wires (pwr, data+, data-, gnd) and gets out through the connector's 8 pins, as wikipedia says:
Pin 1 GND Ground
Pin 2 L0p Lane 0 positive
Pin 3 L0n Lane 0 negative
Pin 4 ID0 Identification/control 0
Pin 5 PWR Power (charger or battery)
Pin 6 L1n Lane 1 negative
Pin 7 L1p Lane 1 positive
Pin 8 ID1 Identification/control 1

By looking at the board wires going to the watch connector, I see a Pwr; SMCLK; SMD - I think??; 2 more wires where it doesn't say anything about it; and GND.

I've got a similar board from search result: this

Can we somehow simplify the connection between the lightning wires and the watch connector?
Last edit: 7 years 4 months ago by murtdoc_007.

More
7 years 4 months ago - 7 years 4 months ago #5669 by reverendalc
yeah, the lightning is that. there's also a small pcb inside the lightning jack which identifies and authorizes the connection.

those wires are labeled SWCLK, SWD.

That's got to be for Serial Wire Debugguing / JTAG.

i wonder what those other two are for... perhaps for non-inductive charging?

that pcb is multilayered, and the traces from the 6pin header aren't visible goddammit

if that's simply a JTAG header, then that device isn't necessary and you could connect with a bus pirate or a JTAG debugger
Last edit: 7 years 4 months ago by reverendalc.

More
7 years 4 months ago #5679 by murtdoc_007
ok, I did an experiment.

I had a lightning cable without jack siting around. I made a small 6 pin connector and connected to those 4 lightning cable wires; in the same way as in the device's picture, I did (from left to right) - power, data+; data-; data +; data-, ground.

When I plug into my laptop, the watch gets connected but device is unknown, i get the error "device descriptor request failed".

So, the only problem in my case, I guess, it's the missing jack / PCB chip. I will try to do this experiment with a good lightning cable.

Ps. I also tryed to switch the data+/data- connection and with the charger connected, same result.

More
7 years 4 months ago #5682 by reverendalc
interesting, but...

i'm curious what (if any) communication could be achieved through basic USB. i can only imagine all that nonsense inside that device does something.

More
7 years 4 months ago #5684 by reverendalc
9to5mac.com/2015/05/20/apple-watch-retail-demo/

i also found the ifixit page those photos are from

this 9to5mac page all but confirms that lightning is the interface, along with conductive charging

More
7 years 3 months ago #5802 by murtdoc_007
Just to update the experiment ... after playing a lot with the connections, I couldn't figure it out to connect the diagnostic port of the apple watch with a lightning cable ....

Any other ideas?

Ps. I couldn't get better photos with the wires inside this device, either.

More
7 years 3 months ago #5803 by reverendalc
well if it is in fact a basic lightning connection, there's not a whole lot to try. lightning is the interface, but i'm sure all that jazz in the adapter box does something that basic lightning doesn't.

have you tried connecting your setup to a mac running iTunes?

More
7 years 3 months ago - 7 years 3 months ago #5804 by murtdoc_007
Yeah, i tried on a mac too.

the closest i've got was to see it as an unknown device. So, the problem will be an identity chip?

Ps. Offtopic: I've got an iphone device, has been reset and it seems to have an apple id on it ... it's there any way to find the email related to the device so I can ask the old owner to remove his id from the phone?
Last edit: 7 years 3 months ago by murtdoc_007.

More
7 years 3 months ago #5805 by reverendalc
I am going to assume that the hardware required for a physical cable connection to the watch was omitted from the watch itself and placed in that adapter. The watch is very small, and Apple stuffed as much as possible in there. Apple never intended for the consumer to initiate a cable connection to the phone, so why spend effort cramming the hardware in and sacrificing battery space?

That connection port seems to sport a very simple SWD interface as well as conductive charging. The controller for that SWD interface is in that adapter I guess.

You could just as easily buy your own SWD adapter and attempt to interface that way.

There are people on the internet who claim to have successfully wired it themselves with lightning, but not in any instance do they provide a photo or diagram of the work, just some (widely) circulated images of iTunes reporting a connected watch. That photo could easily be taken out of context from an ARS or AASC employee with access to the adapter.

As far as the iPhone email... you'd have to try to backtrack where the phone came from and get a name, then google search the name in hopes of the email coming up. You won't get far with apples hint of "d*******@gmail.com" lol. As far as I know, there is no lookup service for that as it would be an invasion of privacy.

More
7 years 2 months ago #6337 by rileystudent
China has some of these for sale but not cheap. www.vipprogrammer.com/apple-watch-restore-cable-rebooting-cable-update-recovery-watchos-system-programmer-3446 But Looking at the board it looks fairly simple. Im guessing either U0200 or U0800 is the NXP 1610A3 Chip

More
6 years 11 months ago - 6 years 11 months ago #6857 by CornholioGSM
...tristar 1610Ax is charging /usb/original cable checking ic....same is in 5se/6/6s marked as U2
Attachments:
Last edit: 6 years 11 months ago by CornholioGSM.

Who's Online

We have 221 guests and no members online

N00BZ

• ljamal
  • ljamal74
  • mikeg2atest
  • ducchinhbui
  • anjarezt

Cookies