Different Methods of Removing EFI Lock?

Rendering Error in layout Widget/Social: Call to a member function exists() on null. Please enable debug mode for more information.
More
8 years 9 months ago #790 by NexusChicken
Hi everyone, I've been a lurker on this website for a little while now. I even posted on the original project page over on HackMac when TheGhost and King were starting to discover how to remove this EFI lock. I've been following this topic since then, but stopped after a little while and am back to see what progress has been made. I must say that I'm really impressed!

I've been doing a lot of research online and see that people are performing EFI unlocking services for anywhere from $50 on eBay to up to $200 or $300 online on personal blogs or websites. Some of these services advertise that you need to ship your Macbook to them, and some other services state that they ONLY need your MB's hash code for them to make an unlock, send you the files via email, and get you to install those on a Flash Drive to unblock the laptop.

My question is this, how are they doing this? I notice this community is constantly using tools to unlock the laptops, but other businesses don't, they only use your laptop's unique code for them to generate a file that will unlock it. How is this possible? Where are they getting these files from?

And another question that I have is this: how do people feel about other's charging hundreds of bucks for EFI removal services? Do you think it's fair, or is it wrong ? I'm very curious about all this! :lol:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 9 months ago - 8 years 9 months ago #794 by token.paul
The first method is called 'SCBO'. Is a specially generated file that should be putted on USB stick. Then BIOS starts it read that file and executes password removing instruction. Every 'SCBO' is strictly for one password on one computer, it is just one time use tool.
Ok, not so difficult to guess that program for generation of these files leaked from the Apple or just guys from Apple make bucks on EFI removal service.
Is it fair? I think - no. To be clear, I am begin research for EFI password removing in one simple reason: I can't remove this password from my property if it forgotten. I loose a control under my computer and I need help from Apple or authorized service to remove it... WHY???
The second method is direct changing of the firmware. This method described here. We can remove password by changing a password area (SVS area) by clean one. Right now we can do it with external SPI device but I hope that software way would be found.
Anyways, everyone will decide for yourself which way to go. I go by second because I don't understand why I should spend a money to return a control under my property.
Last edit: 8 years 9 months ago by token.paul. Reason: spelling
The following user(s) said Thank You: CygnusX1

More
8 years 9 months ago #810 by thaGH05T
That about sums it all up Token.Paul! I agree as well with your outlook which is no surprise. Why would I let someone or some entity charge me money for forgetting a password? That is an earnest statement in any form, but truly the intrigue that it has raised for me is what keeps me driving on. I think anyone willing to make a few quick bucks off of others who feel like they have no other choice is like preying on the weak. My goal is to find the weak and make them strong, knowledge is power and the more powerful we become as a collective takes the monopoly from larger corporations.

Who's Online

We have 356 guests and no members online

N00BZ

• ljamal
  • ljamal74
  • mikeg2atest
  • ducchinhbui
  • anjarezt

Cookies