Can the macbook still give away it's location?

Rendering Error in layout Widget/Social: Call to a member function exists() on null. Please enable debug mode for more information.
More
7 years 9 months ago #3659 by reverendalc
also you mentioned MacBooks locking with a loud alarm noise. how can i duplicate that?

thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 9 months ago #3718 by thaGH05T
There's in option in iCloud to make the noise.

More
7 years 9 months ago #3723 by reverendalc
Oh that gentle submarine sonar ping? I was thinking klaxon alarm, not notification lol

More
5 years 9 months ago #10117 by jan
can someone tell me if this also happen to MDM enrolled devices?

my device is flashed with Ez, connected to my icloud now, but shows up "xy company want to enroll this device in developer program"
fuck Ebay devices

More
5 years 9 months ago #10133 by KingBonecrusher

reverendalc wrote: I have another MacBook I can try it on, but I'd love for another party to corroborate my story

UPDATE: remotely erased MacBooks are also still available on FMM while at the iCloud lock screen

UPDATE: changing the serial number, the mac won't boot. it's a white screen and then the (/) sign (no bootable device). iCloud lock links the boot volume to the mac (apparently thru the serial) to prevent you from swapping disks and using the mac again, or using a functional install to clear nvram.
being as i set the iCloud, i alt-booted and entered the code, and booted the iCloud locked OS X from the macbook with it's new serial#.
despite having a NEW serial number, the OS X install is STILL locked, and FMM can STILL track it and can still send a sound to it.
curiously enough, invoking a NEW iCloud lock, the mac STILL won't boot from the original SSD.

RESULT: changing the serial in the EFI does NOT deter iCloud from communicating with your mac while locked, so i will have to assume that changing the serial when unlocked won't protect you any further then either. unlocking the mac with the iCloud pincode restored the status online and on the macbook.
i also invoked an iCloud lock, flashed a firmware from a previous iCloud lock, and observed no difference. it's still not entirely clear to me the extent of involvement between the EFI stored serial and the iCloud lock, but it's clear that neither depends on the other.

ALSO: i've locked several MacBooks in my lap and never heard an alarm! they just turn off, then turn back on locked.

EDIT: i've successfully loaded windows and ubuntu on iCloud locked MacBooks. when booting an installed OS X or an installer, the machine locks up. but you can successfully load an alternative OS if you've brute forced the PIN.

ghostlyhaks.com/forum/macbook/649-removing-device-enrollment-from-os-x-devices#10132

Who's Online

We have 556 guests and no members online

N00BZ

• ljamal
  • ljamal74
  • mikeg2atest
  • ducchinhbui
  • anjarezt

Cookies