Just picked up a locked macbook

Rendering Error in layout Widget/Social: Call to a member function exists() on null. Please enable debug mode for more information.
More
7 years 10 months ago #3477 by Pseudonym
Found a locked macbook cheap on a facebook selling group. Guy had a story about it, insisted it wasn't stolen, but either way it's locked.

Came across this
before. I have very little exposure to linux/macs, but I'm pretty good with windows/hardware so I'm pretty confident of going through the flashing process. Just really wanted to know, are their any other steps besides the EFI flash and a fresh OS install to get this thing working?

Cheers

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 10 months ago #3480 by therealjayvi
Welcome to the forums! To answer your question bluntly..... Yes and no. It all depends on which specific model you have that makes the level of difficulty regarding the unlock process. To get a better idea of what you're specifically looking at could you please provide the model number (e.g. A1375, MacBookPro2,7, etc.)? Also if you haven't already taken a browse around the site I encourage you to take a look over at the Blog section (located at the top of each page) and head over to the Apple EFI section and read over any amount of the articles that you'll find there just to sort of get a generic feel for what you're up against.

Now, to answer your question more thoroughly...

Each device is going to be different and be aware that you may encounter bugs/problems and other situations that nobody else has encountered. Be that the case, feel free to post about it here and we'll help to get you taken care of. Regarding your MacBook, you'll have 1 of 3 unlock tools that you'll need. There's the 8-Pin SOIC EEPROM chip style that looks like this

and you'll need one of these to interface with it

Or if you have a MacBook Air (or other model with separate interface) up to 2014 models then you're going to need to order a special tool (such as the MBA Easy Flash Tool available for purchase here on the site under the Shop tab) to interface with the special header located on the motherboard. Here are what these look like...

Or if you have a 2015 device or newer then you'll need an ever more specific tool because after 2014 Apple switched it up on us and made the header on the motherboards even smaller >.<

It's not a full detailed description on what you'll need to do but hopefully this will be enough to at least point you in the right direction ;)

Cheers

More
7 years 10 months ago #3596 by reverendalc
flashing the EFI is by far the fastest way to do this, but if you're intimidated by the procedure, you can always brute force it (assuming it didn't already have a firmware password before the iCloud lock)

More
7 years 10 months ago #3759 by Pseudonym
Hi guys,

Sorry for the late reply. Had to put it on the backburner for a bit.

Right so thanks a lot for the replies. So to clarify, I need the tools in the video plus the the MBA Easy Flash Too? ( I have a 2013 macbook air - a1466)

It's just occurred to me that I didn't even have the correct screwdrivers to open it up so I've just ordered a set.

More
7 years 10 months ago #3760 by Pseudonym

reverendalc wrote: flashing the EFI is by far the fastest way to do this, but if you're intimidated by the procedure, you can always brute force it (assuming it didn't already have a firmware password before the iCloud lock)

Yeah I did see people using brute force but I wasn't sure what the pros and cons were. I feel quite comfortable doing the flashing so I'm gunna give that a go first.

More
7 years 10 months ago - 7 years 10 months ago #3761 by reverendalc
if you're comfortable flashing, then yes: get a programmer and an ezflash or competitor clip.
brute force is easy, harmless, but potentially takes a while and requires some sort of oversight
an efficient flash takes a few minutes.

be sure that whichever route you take, you clear NVRAM an reinstall OS X immediately!

EDIT: with latest firmware revisions, even brute force has become more difficult as iCloud lock persists in NVRAM and prevents OS X from loading even after EFI pin has been guessed. it now requires additional steps to clear nvram from single-user mode or the like. still very easy though
Last edit: 7 years 10 months ago by reverendalc.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Pseudonym

More
7 years 10 months ago #3762 by Pseudonym
Ok cool, I'll definitely keep that in mind once I get started.

Noob question, but do the connectors and bread board come with the mba flash? If not where do I get them from? Also, being from UK I'm not sure what shipping costs and times would be like if I ordered the mba flash from here. What's a generic term for those if I was looking for one on say ebay?

More
More
7 years 10 months ago - 7 years 10 months ago #3764 by reverendalc
yeah, that should get'r'done.

head to your local electronics supply store and buy a pack of leads to connect your programmer to the clip.
if you use a raspberry pi or buspirate, female-female leads will do.
i do not breadboard out my 3v3, i simply solder them together, however i've got leads designated to this purpose solely.

in my region, we have a large electronics superstore, but most of the really good local electronics supply stores don't advertise and take a little bit of digging to find.

More
7 years 10 months ago #3765 by Pseudonym
Turns out ordering from here is cheaper. So double checking before I order, this is the right one? ghostlyhaks.com/shop/product/mba-easy-flash-ce

A raspberry pi, I assume is an SPI programmer?

Okay, so, sorry, what is the breadboard for? Connecting the SPI programmer to the clip?

More
7 years 10 months ago - 7 years 10 months ago #3766 by reverendalc
A raspberry pi is many things, and amongst them yes it is a capable SPI programmer. And that clip will also suffice, as well as support this forum!

The breadboard is useful for a temporary configuration of wires and connections. There are three connections on the clip which should be made to the 3v3 output of your programmer. You may use a breadboard to make those connections, or simply solder or crimp or any other means.

Basically you have six outputs of your pi (or other programmer) which must be connected to eight inputs on the clip

Attachments:

More
7 years 10 months ago #3767 by Pseudonym
Ah right, I understand now! Thanks for the pics. You guys are really helpful.

More
7 years 10 months ago #3768 by reverendalc
you're welcome. let us know how you get on

More
7 years 10 months ago #3769 by Pseudonym
Last question for now I think. I think I have everything ordered. In the video, he says you need a version of Raspbian, is it an SD card he's holding? Should I just put the OS on an SD card or do I need something more specific? I ask because the card he has has the logo on. Should I buy it preloaded or is it relatively simple to just stick the OS on a standard SD card?

More
7 years 10 months ago - 7 years 10 months ago #3770 by Pseudonym
Oh yeah, raspberry PI 3 should be fine right?
Last edit: 7 years 10 months ago by Pseudonym.

More
7 years 10 months ago - 7 years 10 months ago #3771 by reverendalc
any raspberry pi model will do. i did not order a preloaded microSD card, as the process is very simple to install rasbpian. you can just download the image and extract it to the SD card. pop it in, and go. there's a great tutorial on this site for installing flashrom

download rasbpian jessie
www.raspberrypi.org/downloads/raspbian/

More
7 years 10 months ago #3772 by Pseudonym
Excellent, thanks a lot!

More
7 years 9 months ago #3919 by reverendalc

Who's Online

We have 199 guests and no members online

N00BZ

• ljamal
  • ljamal74
  • mikeg2atest
  • ducchinhbui
  • anjarezt

Cookies