Problem Interfacing with efi chip, mbp a1502

Rendering Error in layout Widget/Social: Call to a member function exists() on null. Please enable debug mode for more information.
More
7 years 7 months ago #4447 by Chillywilly
Hey all, per the main guide on reflashing the efi chip I ordered the necessary tools, and removed the logic board from the macbook, which may not be necessary I now understand. But upon ordering the soic8 clip, I was under the impression that the macbook I'm working with has the chip that would work with the said clip. But looking at it now it appears that this MBP has the 17x2 header that will not work with this clip. I'm at a bit of a loss, is there a chip on this board that will work with the clip, or will I have to order ghostly's proprietary chip? Any comments or insight are welcome. Thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 7 months ago #4451 by therealjayvi
Unfortunately my friend if your motherboard does not have the protruding EFI chip then the only way is to purchase the proprietary clip...

Unless you're willing to use the pictures from Step 2 in my videos (THANK YOU FOR WATCHING THEM BTW!!) and, instead of attaching the wires from your Pi to the SOIC8 clip, attach them to your pi and solder the ends directly to the barely visible pins of the chip at the same locations where they would normally connect to the SOIC8 clip. The newer style boards still have an EFI chip but Apple got a little smarter about it and they look different. The chip is much flatter than the standard EFI chip and the pins are tucked in closely to the chip, so just barely visible. You can tell which chip this is because typically it has much more apparent writing on it and will probably say MXIC in all capitals. Or you could try to remove the chip, flash externally, and then replace. Some members here are experienced at this method and have no problems with it; others, myself included, are not so skilled lol. I would only recommend this last solution if you have experience doing exactly this because if something goes wrong or you attach something incorrectly then it could cause irreparable damage. Best of luck, let me know if this helps.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chillywilly

More
7 years 7 months ago #4455 by Chillywilly
I see. In the store it says there is no stock of the proprietary clip. Do you know where one could be acquired offsite, or perhaps bought off of a member of this site? Thank You for the quick response and good info!

More
7 years 7 months ago #4457 by therealjayvi
For the time being unfortunately there aren't any clips available for purchase, neither the original nor the competitor edition. Keep checking back often though because that could change at any time, you never can really expect what thaGH05T is up to but I think it's safe to assume by his lack of daily presence on the forums lately that you can expect something big here in the near future ;)

More
7 years 7 months ago #4464 by reverendalc
also, you can remove the chip from the MLB and flash it that way... REALLY easy if you're good at soldering (-;

More
7 years 7 months ago #4466 by therealjayvi
Yeah, yeah ;) not all of us have gangster magnifying glasses and vices that could pin down an ant leg though lol B) Definitely can admit my defeat in that category haha

More
7 years 7 months ago #4475 by reverendalc
well i am begrudgingly going to pull an A1502 chip.

i'll post pics and process

More
7 years 7 months ago #4529 by rpatel18
baaahhh...ran into the same problem! took about the entire board and no EFI chip to be found :-(

More
7 years 7 months ago #4537 by therealjayvi
just sit tight everybody, I know that there has already been a lot of anticipation for the tools to be able to help all of you but just hold out for a little while more and you will not be disappointed ;)

More
7 years 7 months ago #4616 by poppadopp

therealjayvi wrote: Unfortunately my friend if your motherboard does not have the protruding EFI chip then the only way is to purchase the proprietary clip...

Unless you're willing to use the pictures from Step 2 in my videos (THANK YOU FOR WATCHING THEM BTW!!) and, instead of attaching the wires from your Pi to the SOIC8 clip, attach them to your pi and solder the ends directly to the barely visible pins of the chip at the same locations where they would normally connect to the SOIC8 clip. The newer style boards still have an EFI chip but Apple got a little smarter about it and they look different. The chip is much flatter than the standard EFI chip and the pins are tucked in closely to the chip, so just barely visible. You can tell which chip this is because typically it has much more apparent writing on it and will probably say MXIC in all capitals. Or you could try to remove the chip, flash externally, and then replace. Some members here are experienced at this method and have no problems with it; others, myself included, are not so skilled lol. I would only recommend this last solution if you have experience doing exactly this because if something goes wrong or you attach something incorrectly then it could cause irreparable damage. Best of luck, let me know if this helps.

Is it possible you can share a link of your video/pictures so I can see your process? I'm real good at soldering, and I too have an soic clip, and not one for the Mba for the header. It would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments:

More
7 years 7 months ago #4617 by poppadopp

reverendalc wrote: also, you can remove the chip from the MLB and flash it that way... REALLY easy if you're good at soldering (-;

How is this done? I have an soic clip. I'm also really good at soldering and I rather take it off the board and flash it if possible. If not I will solder onto the board, but any alternative is a good one.

More
7 years 7 months ago - 7 years 7 months ago #4623 by reverendalc
I'm self taught in soldering which means my skills and technique are probably shit...

But:

This is done with a hot air station for pulling and reinstalling the chip. You could also use hot tweezers but the chips are fragile when hot. You could also reinstall chip with reflow oven which is probably easier I just don't have access to one
Last edit: 7 years 7 months ago by reverendalc.

Who's Online

We have 732 guests and no members online

N00BZ

• ljamal
  • ljamal74
  • mikeg2atest
  • ducchinhbui
  • anjarezt

Cookies