MacBook Pro Retina Late 2013: BIOS Location & More

Rendering Error in layout Widget/Social: Call to a member function exists() on null. Please enable debug mode for more information.
More
8 years 10 months ago - 8 years 10 months ago #571 by Espectr0
Hi!

I need to flash my Mac to remove EFI password etc,
My first step is open the Mac and backup the bios but...
* where is the bios location?

I attach a screenshot of my Mac A1502.
Thanks!

iFixIt have a better image:
https://d3nevzfk7ii3be.cloudfront.net/igi/Pk3YDRHhIvEDppB1.huge
Attachments:
Last edit: 8 years 10 months ago by Espectr0.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 10 months ago #572 by dgb
Interesting question. I just took one of these apart last night. I _THINK_ it's on the backside of the board. I have attached an image of it for you.

The problem I had was that the form factor of the chip is super low and it has a bunch of traces nearby so a Pomona 8-pin clip (5250) is nearly impossible to get on it (or at least so it seemed). I tried another 5250 that I had with all of the plastic grinded off so I could get the pins right up on it, but I still failed to get a read from the chip. I tried it both with the battery attached to the board and without, and still the same results.

So, maybe thaGH05T can comment on his opinion.

I hope this is helpful.
Attachments:

More
8 years 10 months ago #574 by Kiiinglouie
scared to solder to the board ?
can you take a even closer close up of the chip so i can see the traces

More
8 years 10 months ago #576 by thaGH05T
yep you need to have one of the MBA clips to interface with the header to flash the EFI.

More
8 years 10 months ago #578 by dgb
Or like Kiiinglouie said, just solder to the board. I was just surprised I couldn't get a decent connection with the ways I tried.

But, that being said - I am very patiently awaiting your universal tool, GH05T! Or if there's a way I can just get a MBA clip, which pretty much solves all my problems...

Kiiinglouie - I will post you some better pics tomorrow, just let me know if you need any others.

More
8 years 10 months ago #579 by thaGH05T
Absolutely you can , but you risk major damage. I suggest not doing it but that's how I used to do it before I made the clip. I will be releasing the cup very soon.

More
8 years 10 months ago #584 by Kiiinglouie
if you can solder dont be afraid to
using some good flux and a low powered soldering iron youll be alright
but yes if you cant solder to save your own life do not attempt it

More
8 years 10 months ago #588 by thaGH05T
The biggest risk is breaking a trace or bridging one. The best thing to do is locate a trace that is away from other traces and start in the middle. That way if you rip up the trace after soldering you can scratch back more on either side and reconnect it with a bit of solder. I also suggest covering it with a non conductive nail polish after the job is complete.

More
8 years 10 months ago #591 by dgb
Basically you both have listed all of my concerns - and at this point I'm mostly just waiting for the clip because I'm not in any major hurry.

Kiiinglouie, here's the close up of that chip with the traces I promised.
Attachments:

More
8 years 10 months ago #599 by thaGH05T
did you get the email I sent for the pre-order of the clips??? I am about to please the order and need a good count.

More
8 years 8 months ago #958 by rileystudent
What all Do i need to buy to flash the EFI chip on a A1502 Macbook pro. I have a raspberry pi already and i can solder on motherboards already. I have repaired a few of them. I have my main machine that i can pull a dump from but dont know what cables and tools i need to buy? Any help would be great!!

More
8 years 8 months ago #966 by dgb
We were talking about this a little on a different thread about the new MBA clips. While the A1502s have the same header as the MBAs, the current MBA clips don't seem to work right out of the box for those - we (GH05T, me, whoever) are speculating that these MBP headers have different pinouts than the MBAs. I'm going to measure the continuity of the header against the MBA clip, and maybe GH05T will be able to decipher it for me. In any case, the A1502 is what I'm working on right now - just need some time to check it out in detail.

More
8 years 8 months ago #968 by rileystudent
So what all do i need to flash a A1502 then??

More
8 years 8 months ago #969 by thaGH05T
Well there mat be a way to engineer the clip o sell to do this but I cannot grunted it. The best thing for you to do is get the pinout of the header on your board to further my research as dgb is doing and I will make a batch of clips for the mbp. I may be able to integrate all the pinout into the same clip, but until I get a validation of the headers pinout my hands are tied.

More
8 years 8 months ago #970 by thaGH05T
Your last option is to solder directly to the traces that are connected to the chip. That's if you know your away around a logic board and a soldering iron.

More
8 years 8 months ago #971 by rileystudent
I can solder and also have a good hot air station and can remove the chip if needed. What all would i need to reprogram the chip with the chip off the board??

More
8 years 8 months ago #972 by thaGH05T
Do not remove it just scratch back the traces that lead to the chip and solder down the wires. Attache those wires to the pi and then use flashrom to flash it following my guide. But in the midst of doing this please get the pinot of the chip in regards to the header. We need it to continue on with more clips.

More
8 years 8 months ago #973 by rileystudent
Alright i will do that then

More
8 years 8 months ago #974 by thaGH05T
Well I have good news and bad news. The connector pinout is almost the same. But the connectors or different. The connector on the mbp I looked at is a high rose while the mba is a molex. The footprint may be close enough to still use but I will have to go over both the data sheets extremely carefully. Butif it is the same I will be able to make an all in one clip. Might even be able to do so even if it is different. I could maybe find a hack for my old clips in the mean time for mbp. If I do launch this project I will need big help from you all so we can launch the clip asap.
The following user(s) said Thank You: drexxx

More
8 years 8 months ago #984 by dgb
Hey GH05T, thanks for checking the pinout on the A1502 - it looks like you beat me to it. Maybe there is something different about the headers, because if what you're saying is true - I had no luck trying it in every configuration (including pin 1 and pin 2 on the easy clip).

What other tests do you propose to try to figure it out? I pretty much have it all set up here already.

Who's Online

We have 835 guests and no members online

N00BZ

• ljamal
  • ljamal74
  • mikeg2atest
  • ducchinhbui
  • anjarezt

Cookies