[WIP] Updated steps for removing EFI Firmware

Rendering Error in layout Widget/Social: Call to a member function exists() on null. Please enable debug mode for more information.
  • 0E800
  • 0E800's Avatar Topic Author
  • Script Kiddy
  • Script Kiddy
  • internet == recycle-bin
More
6 years 1 month ago - 6 years 1 month ago #9516 by 0E800
Please forgive, this is a work in progress. I am using this as place to take notes.
I did successfully remove the EFI Firmware password from a MBA 2015 A1465 // EMC-2924

However there are a few steps in the tutorial I was following ( ghostlyhaks.com/blog/apple-efi/31-efi-removal-step-by-step ) that need updating.
Mostly reasons for why Flashrom doesn't recognize chip errors and errors related to compiling flashrom.

Hardware:

1x Raspberry PI 3
www.amazon.com/dp/B0778CZ97B/ref=sspa_dk_detail_1?psc=1&pd_rd_i=B0778CZ97B&pd_rd_wg=ibmFp&pd_rd_r=SXCYGQN3CNMWETFSRNT9&pd_rd_w=JwyUp
(recommended although you only need the PI-3 , Power adapter, and memory card)

1x Easy Flash 4.0.3

6x 10cm Female to Female wire
www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KOL5BCC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

(Optional)
POE Adapter for RPI (get power and network over POE interface) (POE switch required)
www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MDLUSE7/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

For the most part follow the original tutorial and see the updated notes below:
ghostlyhaks.com/blog/apple-efi/31-efi-removal-step-by-step

Automatically create cookie cutter PI image using PiBakery

Manually:

Download Raspbian:
www.raspberrypi.org/downloads/raspbian/

Download Etcher:
etcher.io/

Extract the Raspbian zip file (for this write-up the current file name is: 2017-11-29-raspbian-stretch-lite.zip)

Insert the SD card into computer using adapter

Open Etcher (I run it as admin)
Select the image (2017-11-29-raspbian-stretch-lite.img)
Select the SD card you are going to flash it to
Write it

View the contents of the sd-card in your computers file manager after etcher is completed.
On windows you need to be able to view file extensions (In Explorer, View tab -> Show file extensions.)
Create a file named ssh. (It should not be named ssh.txt or .anything / just a file called ssh)

Now plug the sd-card into the PI3 and connect the pi to your router/switch and power it on.
Wait a good 10 minutes and then try SSHing to it.

Connecting the Easy Flash (pic)

When you enable the SPI, its no longer in Advanced Options.
Its in Interface Options:

When you get to the Flashrom installation instructions , instead of compiling from scratch just use:
sudo apt-get install flashrom

When you get to the Flashrom commands:

sudo flashrom -r ~/efi/read1.bin -V -p linux_spi:dev=/dev/spidev0.0

You will need to append ,spispeed=8000 so that it looks like:

sudo flashrom -r ~/efi/read1.bin -V -p linux_spi:dev=/dev/spidev0.0,spispeed=8000

Else Flashrom will not be able to identify the chip (ref: github.com/flashrom/flashrom/issues/29 )

To be continued....
Last edit: 6 years 1 month ago by 0E800.
The following user(s) said Thank You: KingBonecrusher

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Who's Online

We have 289 guests and no members online

N00BZ

• ljamal
  • ljamal74
  • mikeg2atest
  • ducchinhbui
  • anjarezt

Cookies