Read, write and clear EFI with a SOFI SP8A

Rendering Error in layout Widget/Social: Call to a member function exists() on null. Please enable debug mode for more information.
More
8 years 8 months ago - 8 years 7 months ago #1142 by CygnusX1
Hi all!
NOOB here.

I bought a SOFI SP8A and the SOIC8 SOP8 Flash Chip IC Test Clips Socket adapter to go with it. 1st is it possible to do read and write it with this setup and 2nd is there a tutorial on the process? :dry:

Thanks in advance,
CygnusX1

If I helped you buy me a latte!
Last edit: 8 years 7 months ago by CygnusX1. Reason: update topic icon

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 7 months ago #1154 by thaGH05T
yes and no.

So if you would like to write a tutorial that would be great considering you are the third person to ask. It is the exact same process just with a different programmer and different software doing the footwork.

More
8 years 7 months ago #1160 by CygnusX1
Well I am surely going to try it with the SOFI. If I get it to work I will write a tutorial and post it here on this fine forum! :)

More
8 years 7 months ago #1176 by zenelli

CygnusX1 wrote: Well I am surely going to try it with the SOFI. If I get it to work I will write a tutorial and post it here on this fine forum! :)

I got this programmer too it works great and easy but on macbooks i got a problem, i can't read the chip on board it gives me error, so i must unsolder the chip programe it and solder back,it's to much work.
why you can programme chips onboard with raspberry without problems and not with a (normally) programmer? i don't get it

bye the way i got sofi sp8A and sp16A Both the same problem

More
8 years 7 months ago #1193 by CygnusX1
Well that stinks. Are you disconnecting the battery when you try to read the chip? How are you interfacing with the SOFI? I may order the new Raspberry Pi also just to be on the safe side. I wonder if the new PI would work OK.

More
8 years 7 months ago #1199 by thaGH05T
One of the best things to remember is SLOW is SMOOTH and SMOOTH is FAST. You need to make damn sure the connection is solid and your commands are correct. Also when you have the clip connected grab a multi-meter and test the voltage running to the VCC pin on the chip. It has to fall within the range that is specified on your chips datasheet. This is usually about 3.3v minimum.
The following user(s) said Thank You: lolito

More
8 years 7 months ago #1226 by zenelli
Well maybe i'm doing something wrong i'm not a pro,
yes i disconnect the battery, But i did not use the isp connector on the sofi because i did not know how to connect.
Maybe you have more experience with it and maybe it will work for you, then i will be glad if you make an tutorial for this programmer (-:

It will be more easy job with sofi then a raspberry to program eeprom chips

More
8 years 7 months ago #1242 by thaGH05T
Not quite following what you are saying but I do not have a SOFI available.

More
8 years 7 months ago #1264 by zenelli

thaGH05T wrote: Not quite following what you are saying but I do not have a SOFI available.

I'm sorry message was for CygnusX1

More
8 years 5 months ago #1727 by lolito
Maybe the clip is the issue. Most people say those SOC8 black clips are very low quality, but there are a blue ones called Pomani, or something like that. Those seem to be better.

More
8 years 5 months ago #1734 by thaGH05T
They are absolutely horrid! The Pomona are the way to go for sure.
The following user(s) said Thank You: lolito

More
8 years 5 months ago #1741 by lolito
The Pomona 5250 would be the correct clip to purchase?

More
8 years 5 months ago #1746 by keyboardhn
I prefer to remove the chip, and solder in the mold that brings MiniPro and reads perfectly. (So I do not lose the practice of welding).

More
8 years 5 months ago #1750 by thaGH05T
There are many ways to skin a cat, but in the end most people need to find the way that best suites them.

Moderators: token.paul

Who's Online

We have 583 guests and no members online

N00BZ

• ljamal
  • ljamal74
  • mikeg2atest
  • ducchinhbui
  • anjarezt

Cookies