Question about $SVS line, MD101LL/A EFI Lock

Rendering Error in layout Widget/Social: Call to a member function exists() on null. Please enable debug mode for more information.
More
7 years 10 months ago #3790 by sjword
I've learned a TON from reading here on the forums, but just registered and this is my first post. :) Thanks for all you guys do and for the excellent tutorials.

I've run into an issue with an EFI locked board (820-3115, MD101LL/A) that I simply can't figure out how to scrub the post-$SVS characters from. I found the first occurrence of $SVS, but there are some SERIOUS characters after it--over 114,000. In the tutorial video from thaGhost (thanks!), you demonstrate how to replace the text after $SVS with the "f" characters, make it match the number of characters/columns/filesize, etc. All that's no problem, and I understand why that has to be. My question is, is it, uhh, "normal" or "possible" for there to be SO many characters to replace? You had 136 in your video, but to have over 114,000? That seems excessive. Is it possible I'm doing something wrong? I'm simply selecting all text on the same line as the first occurrence of $SVS. I put my cursor directly to the left of "$", then scroll all the way to the right until I see the end of the characters on that row. I then hold shift, click at the end, and copy/paste into a new document to count/replace, etc. The problem I ran into (besides it being stupidly long), was that I couldn't get the "f" characters to equal (in number) the characters i'm replacing exactly. It would always be off by 1 value, either 1 character too high or too low.

Any help or advice would be appreciated! I've attached the dump as well. Maybe I'm crazy and my viewer is being funky (using Notepad++).
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 10 months ago #3792 by CygnusX1

sjword wrote: I've learned a TON from reading here on the forums, but just registered and this is my first post. :) Thanks for all you guys do and for the excellent tutorials.

I've run into an issue with an EFI locked board (820-3115, MD101LL/A) that I simply can't figure out how to scrub the post-$SVS characters from. I found the first occurrence of $SVS, but there are some SERIOUS characters after it--over 114,000. In the tutorial video from thaGhost (thanks!), you demonstrate how to replace the text after $SVS with the "f" characters, make it match the number of characters/columns/filesize, etc. All that's no problem, and I understand why that has to be. My question is, is it, uhh, "normal" or "possible" for there to be SO many characters to replace? You had 136 in your video, but to have over 114,000? That seems excessive. Is it possible I'm doing something wrong? I'm simply selecting all text on the same line as the first occurrence of $SVS. I put my cursor directly to the left of "$", then scroll all the way to the right until I see the end of the characters on that row. I then hold shift, click at the end, and copy/paste into a new document to count/replace, etc. The problem I ran into (besides it being stupidly long), was that I couldn't get the "f" characters to equal (in number) the characters i'm replacing exactly. It would always be off by 1 value, either 1 character too high or too low.

Any help or advice would be appreciated! I've attached the dump as well. Maybe I'm crazy and my viewer is being funky (using Notepad++).

Here ya go! The bin is cleaned. Enjoy!

If I helped you buy me a latte!
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: sjword

More
7 years 10 months ago #3793 by sjword
Thanks so much, Cygnus!

One more question I forgot in the original post; I noticed in the EFI dumps for the boards I'd downloaded so far, the serial number has been replaced with <MODEL NUMBER>, which I know should be replaced with the board serial. My question is, is the file setup to be the correct size after I've input the serial? The reason I ask is because the number of characters in the serial (11) is less than the characters in "<MODEL NUMBER>", so it ends up changing the file size slightly. Is the file setup to be the correct file size AFTER I have added the serial and removed the "extra" characters (which end up being "ER>").

Thanks again!

More
7 years 10 months ago #3794 by CygnusX1

sjword wrote: Thanks so much, Cygnus!

One more question I forgot in the original post; I noticed in the EFI dumps for the boards I'd downloaded so far, the serial number has been replaced with <MODEL NUMBER>, which I know should be replaced with the board serial. My question is, is the file setup to be the correct size after I've input the serial? The reason I ask is because the number of characters in the serial (11) is less than the characters in "<MODEL NUMBER>", so it ends up changing the file size slightly. Is the file setup to be the correct file size AFTER I have added the serial and removed the "extra" characters (which end up being "ER>").

Thanks again!

I didn't check. PM me your serial number and I will take care of it.

More
7 years 10 months ago #3795 by CygnusX1
Or just remove the "ER>".

Moderators: token.paul

Who's Online

We have 326 guests and no members online

N00BZ

• ljamal
  • ljamal74
  • mikeg2atest
  • ducchinhbui
  • anjarezt

Cookies