Non-Apple related EEPROM dump questions

Rendering Error in layout Widget/Social: Call to a member function exists() on null. Please enable debug mode for more information.
More
7 years 9 months ago #4048 by therealjayvi
Here's my scenario: I've got a HP Probook 430 G2 that has a single Winbond 25Q64FVS1Q as the EEPROM chip. I found another site that offers FULL bios dumps in .bin format called dr-bios.com, but they don't give access to their repository without paying. Reluctantly I forked over the $20 they demanded to download their copy of the chip.bin and this is where I'm stuck. Thankfully I've saved a copy of the original chip dump so I'm able to revert back at any time but this problem persists me, I can't just set something down without figuring it out first >.< there's an admin pw on the bios preventing any alternate booting and it's also UEFI looking for a GPT partitioned malfunctioning SSD. Fun times. I found an AMAZING utility called UEFITool that displays the contents of any bios dump in Unicode so it makes things really easy. My question is if anybody is familiar with Probook bios, specifically where inside the hex that the password is stored? Or if not where the password can be found at least does anybody know the criteria that newer HP's look for when flashing the chip (i.e. UUID, Serial, MRC, etc). I've referenced the dump from dr-bios (some doctor he is, damn .bin won't even boot) against my own and found MAJOR differences. I figure I've got enough material and know-how to get this job done but Google is just straight garbage nowadays and I've already wasted $20 so I figure I'd ask here. Thanks in advance :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 9 months ago - 7 years 9 months ago #4052 by CygnusX1

therealjayvi wrote: Here's my scenario: I've got a HP Probook 430 G2 that has a single Winbond 25Q64FVS1Q as the EEPROM chip. I found another site that offers FULL bios dumps in .bin format called dr-bios.com, but they don't give access to their repository without paying. Reluctantly I forked over the $20 they demanded to download their copy of the chip.bin and this is where I'm stuck. Thankfully I've saved a copy of the original chip dump so I'm able to revert back at any time but this problem persists me, I can't just set something down without figuring it out first >.< there's an admin pw on the bios preventing any alternate booting and it's also UEFI looking for a GPT partitioned malfunctioning SSD. Fun times. I found an AMAZING utility called UEFITool that displays the contents of any bios dump in Unicode so it makes things really easy. My question is if anybody is familiar with Probook bios, specifically where inside the hex that the password is stored? Or if not where the password can be found at least does anybody know the criteria that newer HP's look for when flashing the chip (i.e. UUID, Serial, MRC, etc). I've referenced the dump from dr-bios (some doctor he is, damn .bin won't even boot) against my own and found MAJOR differences. I figure I've got enough material and know-how to get this job done but Google is just straight garbage nowadays and I've already wasted $20 so I figure I'd ask here. Thanks in advance :)

Try this out.
bios-pw.org/

dogber1.blogspot.com/2009/05/table-of-reverse-engineered-bios.html

If I helped you buy me a latte!
Last edit: 7 years 9 months ago by CygnusX1.

More
7 years 9 months ago #4053 by therealjayvi
Thanks for the quick reply! Yeah the only thing about that website is that it doesn't work (as far as I've seen) on any UEFI enabled devices :( I love that site though I actually found it one day from StumbleUpon and definitely made sure to save it to my bookmarks! I have had equal success and failure from bios-pw.org, the main devices I have been unable to use them for are on any Dell Latitude's that have been updated to the latest XXXXXX-1D3B firmware as well as any HP Probook/Elitebook. Although I have found methods of bypassing both as of now what I'm trying to figure out is specifically where to inject either "FF" (in HEX) or "^" (in Unicode) from the original dump that would nullify any existence of the original password but I can't seem to find anything viable online. Sort of like with Apple EFI how we search for $SVS and then replace everything in between, except that there is no $SVS in HP Pro/Elitebook dumps so I've just been making educated guesses hoping that I get it right lol

More
7 years 9 months ago #4054 by CygnusX1
Does it give you a code after 3 failed attempts?

More
7 years 9 months ago #4056 by therealjayvi
No if you give it 3 failed attempts it just reboots. Thankfully I have owned a TON of Probooks/Elitebooks in the past so I know a few tricks to get around things like this so bypassing the password hasn't kept me from using the device thankfully. I was just wondering if anybody else had familiarity inside of any other non-apple EFI dumps. It's funny to think that I used to think Apple products were "so hard" to crack but now I can't even find this stupid hex password on an HP >.<

More
7 years 9 months ago #4058 by CygnusX1

therealjayvi wrote: No if you give it 3 failed attempts it just reboots. Thankfully I have owned a TON of Probooks/Elitebooks in the past so I know a few tricks to get around things like this so bypassing the password hasn't kept me from using the device thankfully. I was just wondering if anybody else had familiarity inside of any other non-apple EFI dumps. It's funny to think that I used to think Apple products were "so hard" to crack but now I can't even find this stupid hex password on an HP >.<

Ahh.... gotcha. I guess you will be my "go to guy" for other laptops. :)

Moderators: token.paul

Who's Online

We have 400 guests and no members online

N00BZ

• ljamal
  • ljamal74
  • mikeg2atest
  • ducchinhbui
  • anjarezt

Cookies