Early 2014 MacBook AIR chip erase failed HELP!

Rendering Error in layout Widget/Social: Call to a member function exists() on null. Please enable debug mode for more information.
More
7 years 9 months ago #4050 by HandsumASS
I recently received a MBA with an EFI passcode lock. Opened the bottom case, setup my pi to read the efi chip. Connect the easy flash device and when I did that I may have connected it a little ruff so one end of the MBA connection end is broken. When connecting the easy flash device I notice that the pi resets each time. 2 time I got a chance to connect it but I failed to read the chip. Now my MBA isn't booting at all. Could I have damaged the chip. I notice that the easy flash was getting a little hot. I got a read of the chip but their were no $SVS, I'm thinking I burnt out the efi chip. I keep asking my self why was I being so fast! CAN SOME PLEASE HELP ME!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 9 months ago #4051 by CygnusX1

HandsumASS wrote: I recently received a MBA with an EFI passcode lock. Opened the bottom case, setup my pi to read the efi chip. Connect the easy flash device and when I did that I may have connected it a little ruff so one end of the MBA connection end is broken. When connecting the easy flash device I notice that the pi resets each time. 2 time I got a chance to connect it but I failed to read the chip. Now my MBA isn't booting at all. Could I have damaged the chip. I notice that the easy flash was getting a little hot. I got a read of the chip but their were no $SVS, I'm thinking I burnt out the efi chip. I keep asking my self why was I being so fast! CAN SOME PLEASE HELP ME!

Well, sounds like the clip is now toast if you indeed broke an end off of it. The good news is the newer version will be out soon!!

If I helped you buy me a latte!

More
7 years 9 months ago #4072 by therealjayvi
If you have a steady hand and the tools to be able to take the motherboard completely out of the casing then there are usually test points on the board that you can solder the wires directly onto and be able to program the chip this way. If you look around (typically on the reverse side of the board from the header) you'll see that the EFI chip is still physically on the board, the header is just a fancy way to access it. Apple is keen to being on top of groups of people that do what we do so they have shortened the lengths on the pins for the chip to almost a fraction of the size, essentially making it HARDER to probe the physical chip. Harder, but by no means impossible. If you have caused irreparable damage to the debug header then short of removing it entirely and replacing it (totally doable, check ebay, I wouldn't recommend unless you REALLY know what you're doing) I'd say these would be your best bet. Or check out if it's under warranty and go play dumb at the Apple store like it just "stopped working".

More
7 years 9 months ago #4084 by HandsumASS
The easy flash is connected. This is what I'm getting when I try to erase the chip. I'm not sure if I got a good read but I didnt get any errors. The erase command failed.

Attachments:

More
7 years 9 months ago #4085 by HandsumASS
End results of trying to erase the chip.

Attachments:

More
7 years 9 months ago #4091 by CygnusX1
What are you powering the easy flash with?

More
7 years 9 months ago #4092 by HandsumASS
3.3v from the raspberry pi..

More
7 years 9 months ago #4093 by CygnusX1

HandsumASS wrote: 3.3v from the raspberry pi..

OK, now I'm lost. Are you using an "Easy Flash" or the "RPI" to read and write to the chip?

More
7 years 9 months ago #4096 by reverendalc
there's probably a good EFI dump available in the repository, so don't worry about that.
the question is: what are you powering your raspberry pi with? your usb power supply should be >1 amp. i use a 1A iPhone power brick, but it's suggested to use 2A power or greater.

on a side note, my raspberry pi will reset every time i connect it to an EFI chip. i don't know why, but it does, so i've just gotten in the habit of connecting it before powering on.

if you've damaged the connector on your ezflash, and it's getting hot, you may have a short. i have an ezflash that SOMEHOW LOL got shorted between 3v3 and CS, and it interfered with communication, but never damaged the mac. it also spent several rounds connected to the macbook with the wiring wildly inaccurate. i never shorted 3v3 and gnd, but don't give up yet.

take a voltmeter and test for continuity between any of the wires you've connected to the ezflash. if you're steady enough, you can also test for adjacent shorts between neighboring contacts on the ezflash mezzanine connector. in the event you've done irreparable damage to it, you can replace the connector alone...

they're a mezzanine/board-to-board connector made by Hirose, and Mouser stocks them for $.75ea.

www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Hirose-Connector/DF40B20-12DS-04V51/?qs=tTj%252bmQ3KZwbDcYygdAZNkA%3D%3D

just make sure you order the 12pin or 24pin or whichever one you damaged

More
7 years 9 months ago #4124 by HandsumASS
I think I damaged the logicboard connector

Not sure. I wish I had another easy flash to test. Like I said, I got a read but I couldn't erase or write to the chip.

Check out the photo.

You can see how both ends are broken off.. I was being fast & not careful..

Attachments:

More
7 years 9 months ago #4128 by reverendalc
How many Amps is your raspberry pi power supply? That is important to know, it should be at least 2A.

As far as the socket.... I don't know how you managed that. Do you have a microscope? There doesn't appear to be any short or broken pin. While it's definitely damaged, I'm not sure it's "broken"

You can order that socket too, it's also a hirose part and I have the part number. You could probably find a local electronics repair shop to replace it.

More
7 years 9 months ago #4214 by therealjayvi
If you are able to power on the Mac at all I would suggest installing the rEFInd bootloader onto either a USB or an external drive and then use either Hiren's Boot Disc's Mini Windows XP (or any other portable/bootable Windows media) and see if you can get a read of your EFI chip by using Intel's Flash Programming Tool (FPT). It has similar functionality as Flashrom does, except for that it is run from within Windows and, when live booting, it can read and write directly to the chip from a Command Prompt. Now it's not as effective as connecting directly to the board for obvious reasons, but it has saved me in a pinch when I was unable to do anything else. Alternatively you can try Flashrom and specify "-p internal" as your programming device but in the Flashrom man page they directly advise against doing this. Up to you my friend, let us know the results and we'll all do our best to get it working for you. I'm attaching the 64-bit version of FPT to save ya the Google searches ;)
Attachments:

More
7 years 8 months ago #4240 by reverendalc
Yes how is this project going? Carefully I hope lol

Moderators: token.paul

Who's Online

We have 201 guests and no members online

N00BZ

• ljamal
  • ljamal74
  • mikeg2atest
  • ducchinhbui
  • anjarezt

Cookies