Is my MacBook Pro (2009) bricked?

Rendering Error in layout Widget/Social: Call to a member function exists() on null. Please enable debug mode for more information.
More
7 years 10 months ago #3507 by thaGH05T
Good luck, until you get rid of that programmer initialization error it will never try to read.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 10 months ago #3508 by thaGH05T
Actually now that I think about it, make sure you are using a short fat cable, the BP has to get 3.3v to the chip and this is definately something I ran into.

More
7 years 10 months ago #3511 by Arjeno
Looks like it works perfectly under Windows. I was trying before on my own MacBook. I am really bummed now that the SOIC8 clip won't get a grip on the chip... I'll need to wait for a new one. To be continued... Thanks again for all the help, I will buy you enough beers to last for a while ;)

More
7 years 10 months ago #3513 by reverendalc
I've tried two different versions of bus pirate with their included firmware, latest firmware, and latest beta.

I can't initials at all you're right. I've never used flashrom before this technique tho so my experience with it and SPI is limited.

More
7 years 10 months ago #3521 by thaGH05T
This is why I didn't use the BP as the SPI programmer for my tutorial. It is fairly finicky when it comes to reading SPI. You need a short fat cable that is able to carry data of course. And your wires to the clip need to be ~4 inches long. You will need to have the latest firmware on the BP as well as the latest version of flashrom and a bit of luck to get it to work.

More
7 years 10 months ago #3530 by reverendalc
dang. i've got the latest firmware, flashrom, and i built my clip harness from 4" leads. looks like i've got everything but the luck, or perhaps the wire gauge is too small

More
7 years 10 months ago #3535 by thaGH05T
I am not really sure. I know that I had it all correct before but my power cable was the issue, it looked up to standard, but it was definitely not. Why dont you probe the 2v2 and gnd pins while it is powered on trying to talk to flashrom and see what the voltage drops to?

More
7 years 10 months ago #3594 by reverendalc
does the bus pirate have a more difficult time providing voltage than the rbp?

i use the same SOIC clip and harness all the time with my rbp, but when connected to bp it won't go

i don't have a 2v2, maybe that's the problem! lol

More
7 years 10 months ago #3597 by thaGH05T
My appologies I meant 3.3v, the issue usually with the BP is that it cannot support reading while powering a chip unless all the variables are correct.

More
7 years 10 months ago #3598 by Arjeno
The SOIC8 clip is being delivered on Monday, so I'll try again then. Can I ask how one should probe or bridge those pins onto the 3.3v? Can you for example use a paperclip to do that or is that a no-go?

More
7 years 10 months ago #3600 by reverendalc
you can breadboard the 3v3 out, splice/solder the leads together... any way you see fit.

to probe them you'll need a multimeter or the like, set on VDC (voltage direct current): place the red lead on 3v3 and the black lead on GND

More
7 years 10 months ago #3623 by Arjeno
Awesome, I've read out the chip. I made sure to read it 3 times and compared the MD5 hash, which were all the same. I've attached it.
Attachments:

More
7 years 10 months ago #3640 by thaGH05T
Do you need this cleaned or are you just contributing? (Place in repo mod if needed please.)

More
7 years 10 months ago #3652 by reverendalc

More
7 years 10 months ago #3654 by Arjeno
Sorry I'm a bit confused, I thought you said we could try and the restore the ME region. So that's why I read out the chip and posted it here. Or is there nothing we can do without getting the proper firmware from the same type of MacBook?

More
7 years 10 months ago #3668 by reverendalc
oh, i forgot the subject of the thread and my mind defaulted to iCloud lock. can clean that up for you this evening. what's the exact model of that macbook so i can look for another dump just in case?

More
7 years 10 months ago #3672 by Arjeno
Ok no problem, I guess most questions are for removing the lock. It's a A1297 EMC 2272 2.93GHz, there is also a dump request here: ghostlyhaks.com/forum/efi-firmware-dumps-requests/491-a1297-emc-2272-efi-dump-request

More
7 years 10 months ago #3677 by Arjeno
Alright guys! I've succesfully unbricked my MacBook! :) I bought the chip from eBay containing the correct firmware, I asked if he could just send me the dump instead of the chip and he did. So I replaced the serial number and flashed it on the chip, worked like a charm! It started beeping on startup, looks like there was a faulty RAM module as well. I removed it and it works prefectly.

Thanks a lot for all the help guys! reverendalc and ggltech do you have paypal or something? I see thaGH05T you have paypal. I'd like to buy you a couple of beers or whatever your drink is.
Attachments:

More
7 years 10 months ago #3678 by Arjeno
Also I'll put the dump in my other thread so it can be useful to others as well.

More
7 years 10 months ago #3684 by reverendalc
ahah dammit. i just cleaned it and came to post it. should've checked here first.

great job!

Who's Online

We have 394 guests and no members online

N00BZ

• ljamal
  • ljamal74
  • mikeg2atest
  • ducchinhbui
  • anjarezt

Cookies