Is my MacBook Pro (2009) bricked?

Rendering Error in layout Widget/Social: Call to a member function exists() on null. Please enable debug mode for more information.
More
7 years 11 months ago #3426 by Arjeno
My wife got the old MacBook Pro of her dad so she can work on it. I wanted to clean it. So I booted it from a El Capitain USB stick, removed the partitions and created a new one and then installed El Capitain. It crashed during the installation so after a few hours of doing nothing I forced a shutdown.

Then it started to do funky things, sometimes it would boot to a gray screen with an X in the middle and sometimes it would show a black screen and beep 3x short, 3x long, 3x short. So I downloaded the proper recovery CD, burned it to a DVD. While shutdown I held the power button until the LED would start blinking rapidly, then it went to what I assume was a firmware upgrade or recovery. It showed a gray screen with a progress bar and it completed, it rebooted and then it was completely dead. It powers on, even tries to read the DVD (you can hear it spinning up) but no chime and no screen. I inserted the Recovery DVD hoping it would do something, but now I can't even get it out anymore. I've tried everything.

So in short this is what happened:

- Cleaned out mac, re-installed OSX
- It crashed during the installation
- After reboot it started beeping, 3x short, 3x long, 3x short
- Sometimes it would show a gray screen with an X in the middle
- I downloaded and burned the Firmware Recovery DVD and put it in the MacBook
- It then installed the Firmware, it rebooted and then it did nothing, just a black screen, no startup chime

It's a MacBook Pro 17 inch early 2009 (EMC 2272). Any ideas? I ordered a Bus Pirate and want to try re-flashing it. I opened another topic here asking for an EFI dump: ghostlyhaks.com/forum/efi-firmware-dumps-requests/491-a1297-emc-2272-efi-dump-request

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 11 months ago #3437 by ggltech
Those beeps usually mean memory problems. Could be 1 stick is bad or could be bad RAM slot. Try using only 1 slot

I doubt you need to reflash any firmware.

More
7 years 11 months ago #3438 by Arjeno
Hi, Ive tried removing the RAM or fitting 1 module, both do nothing. The MacBook no longer beeps after the recovery firmware update. So even booting without RAM does nothing, not even any beeping.

More
7 years 11 months ago #3439 by ggltech
Try holding down the power button for 10-15 seconds ..see if it turns on

More
7 years 10 months ago #3445 by Arjeno
If I do that it will power on as usual (fans spin) and then shutdown after about 10 seconds and then power on again with fans on. But no chime, no boot, no beeps, nothing really.

More
7 years 10 months ago #3457 by thaGH05T
OK, it sounds like you have a bricked Mac do to a bad firmware flash,. You will definitely need to get a clean dump and try cleaning the ME region before flashing it back.

More
7 years 10 months ago #3462 by Arjeno
Hey, thanks. I thought so too, I've tried everything but to no avail. I'm trying to get the EFI ROM but with no luck so far. I've bought a Bus Pirate and will try and read out the chip. Is there anything I can do without having the proper EFI ROM?

More
7 years 10 months ago #3464 by thaGH05T
I think we can try and restore the ME region and see if that will work, but I am not sure that it will. You can try that until we can find you a ROM.

More
7 years 10 months ago #3465 by Arjeno
Awesome :) I need to buy a clip and cable to read out the chip. When that's done I'll post the dump here.

More
7 years 10 months ago #3466 by ggltech

More
7 years 10 months ago - 7 years 10 months ago #3467 by Arjeno
Thanks for that! If restoring the ME region fails and the EFI rom is nowhere to be found I'll definitely buy that chip. I could even simply read that one out for the EFI rom and flash the existing one without soldering. I've never soldered anything in my life so it's a last resort for me.
Last edit: 7 years 10 months ago by Arjeno.

More
7 years 10 months ago #3469 by Arjeno
OK, so I bought a clip so I can read/flash the chip it while it's on the board. It should arrive within a couple of days, I'll post the dump then. Thanks guys!

More
7 years 10 months ago #3482 by thaGH05T
Great to hear, look forward to you success story.

More
7 years 10 months ago - 7 years 10 months ago #3485 by Arjeno
I received the clip and tried reading out the chip but I am failing to. I have a Bus Pirate V4. Does anyone have experience with hooking up a SPI chip to a Bus Pirate? I have all connectors hooked up, but according to Flashrom you need 3 connectors with 3.3v (pin 3, 7 and 8 ), Bus Pirate only has 1 connector that has 3.3v. www.flashrom.org/Bus_Pirate i890.photobucket.com/albums/ac102/piccyman/BusPirate4-ProbeKitColours_zps6d1add70.jpg

This is the output from flashrom:
flashrom -V -p buspirate_spi:dev=/dev/tty.usbmodem00000001
Calibrating delay loop... OS timer resolution is 1 usecs, 2149M loops per second, 10 myus = 9 us, 100 myus = 95 us, 1000 myus = 1015 us, 10000 myus = 8808 us, 4 myus = 3 us, OK.
Initializing buspirate_spi programmer
serialport_config: Some requested options did not stick.
Error: Programmer initialization failed.

Pardon my lack of knowledge!
Last edit: 7 years 10 months ago by Arjeno.

More
7 years 10 months ago #3486 by Arjeno
I think I need to bridge connector 3, 7 and 8 on the chip so they all get 3.3v. Is that correct?

More
7 years 10 months ago #3487 by Arjeno
It looks like the clip I bought isn't working so well. It's unable to stay gripped on to the chip. I'm going to a buy a new one. I also saw connectors WP and HOLD don't need to be connected, so I'll try that. To be continued..

More
7 years 10 months ago #3496 by reverendalc
connect WP and HOLD to 3v3 also. i use my bus pirate for all sorts of fun stuff, but i couldn't get flashrom to work for some reason. i ended up going to fry's and grabbing an RBP for $20 and it worked like a charm.

More
7 years 10 months ago #3498 by Arjeno
Thanks, I may just do that!

More
7 years 10 months ago #3503 by thaGH05T
The Bus Pirate is not initializing; make sure you have the latest firmware installed on it as well as the latest version of flashrom. You may want to try initializing the programmer without the clip attached first to be sure it sees it.

More
7 years 10 months ago #3505 by Arjeno
I see.. I thought it could simply not read the clip. I tried connecting the Bus Pirate without any chip connected to it and I got the same results. I'll try updating the firmware. Thanks!

Who's Online

We have 321 guests and no members online

N00BZ

• ljamal
  • ljamal74
  • mikeg2atest
  • ducchinhbui
  • anjarezt

Cookies